Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Re-Basing some Dark Age miniatures

I re-based some of my single based Dark Age collection. Removing them to replace with two on  the 25mm round base. I made many of these with Saga or Lion Rampant in mind when first created but I decided to re-base to help make my 'Kings of War Historical' units look a little fuller. Among these below is a couple of freshly painted Dark Age Gripping Beast warriors but it's mostly older ones.

Hacking these dudes under the feet among old sand, paint, glue and flock requires patients. Some wargamers have said that re-basing is something hobbyists should eventually do and it's been a very long time since I have done anything brutal like this.

The chain-mail wearing dudes make for a great Shield Wall look and feel when based like this and I have painted a whole stack of new ones which I will show here soon when they are completed.


For Kings of War I use custom made trays (Warbases UK) using the dimensions for those rules. Below are 'Regiments' which are based on the old 20 soldiers each on 20x20 bases in 4 ranks of 5 across.
Each tray has 3 of the new double based warriors. This takes the total up to 12 (not 20). I think a rule/guideline may exist for 50% +1 as a minimum for a unit of 20. I don't care much for that myself as I prefer what looks good or just the fact that someone has turned up happy enough to play a game. Even better if they have painted miniatures.

"We are angry and confused!"......."Are we Viking or Anglo-Saxon/Danes?" 

Cheers from Brendon

8 comments:

  1. I have to say that I do like the look of these multiply miniature bases, seems to add much more drama to the piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They do look great Brendon, but I hate re-basing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Rodger. Yeah....It's not as much fun as it sounds. :)

      Delete
  3. When I first read what you intended with the double basing I was dubious but having seen it complete I have to say I'm a big fan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pose is important for this to happen. Works well for the Gripping Beast chain-mail Saxons and Vikings as they have good side on Shield Wall style poses. cheers and thanks for the comment.

      Delete