Monday, November 28, 2016

Painting Challenge

I created this post at the end of the Analogue Hobbies 2015/16 painting challenge and never got around to posting it. It's been announced for the 2016/17 season so if you need details go here...

http://thepaintingchallenge.blogspot.com.au/2016/11/the-seventh-annual-analogue-hobbies.html

It's a lot of fun and great for motivation. I don't think I will achieve the results of last time round as I actually had a few weeks leave at home. No such plans this time.

I found the painting challenge extremely motivating and it was a very productive time for me.
Here is me and most of the painted horde. It had to be gathered from throughout the hobby room.


I managed to make a huge amount of impact into my Arab army (and grow my beard longer).




 Managed to get a lot more Mongol maniacs painted.






 2 boxes of Perry Light Horsemen. 6 Archers, 6 Crossbowmen and 12 lancers.
















Prior to starting I had built and primed a lot but still it wasn't enough with some assembly done during the challenge.

Cheers from Brendon

Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Perry Light Cavalry for Curt

These I painted on request for Curt. They have now traveled all the way from here....hot sweaty Darwin to the Snowlord in Canada. 1 x Perry Miniatures Plastic Light Cavalry 28mm set of 12 mounted miniatures. I am really looking forward to seeing them in his awesome basing style.

Curt left the Art Direction wide open but he did identify an historic Light Cavalry unit. The Jinetes.
From an email exchange and an example he sent I decided that these guys who served in the Italian Wars didn't need a consistent uniform colour. Also shields are to be applied by Curt. As these figures have a left arm that usually results in the left fist sitting very close to the Pommel I made some custom adjustments. The Torso at the shoulder join was cut back and so was the top of the arm to provide a new wedge gap that made the arms tilt outward. A couple have minor conversions with weapon swaps and the occasional arm/head from other kits completed the construction phase.

The grey horse does not look as yellowy in real life as it does in the photos below.
I hadn't done any commission style painting in a long time and not for anyone who already paints to a very high standard. I just ended up treating this job like I was painting for my own collection and really not treating it any differently. I painted an excess amount of horses (16) to make sure of a good variety with a couple of specials among them because that's how I treat my units. I mailed these with the riders unattached to the horses so Curt can pair them up.

Perry Miniatures are finely detailed. They take me longer than most other miniature makers to get to completion. These arrived at my place during the Dry Season when I was busy doing Dry Season activities. Camping most weekends so a few months of practically no hobby activity at all really.
During this project I also broke it up by doing some smaller ones for me which actually helped I think.






Cheers from Brendon.

Friday, November 4, 2016

Ogre Oldhammer Flashback

Came across these old Games Workshop Ogres in the depths of my Mancave. Painted a long time back they have some interesting skin tones that if I painted them now they would look very different.
These would have been painted with Games Workshop paints which I don't use now.
These ugly dudes have a lot of character even today and they are all metal.

































The basing was natural sand unpainted with a few tiny areas of flock grass. From memory I made a standard for this unit which had it's on pile of rocks to make it free standing and was placed on the grey flat rocks of the front row middle Ogre. That Ogre I am sure is a Blood Bowl character who I added the two severed heads. I added the bell on the chain as well which would have been for the inclusion of a unit Musician.


















I am not sure but Oldhammer experts may be able to confirm this or not.....the Ogre with the shaggy hair and goat horns may have been an Ogre Shaman.
With the inclusion of the Purple colour that I seemed to have used a lot back in my Warhammer Chaos days these may have been for inclusion of my Chaos fantasy army. The unit tray was a homemade cut and paste job. Hmmmmm. I could actually re-base these for Kings of War and only use four of them to represent the same size unit of six.

I am currently very slowly cleaning out my Mancave to make way for human occupation again. It will become a bedroom as it was a long while back when someone returns to the nest. I will have a work station located elsewhere so it shouldn't cease productivity. Well.......hopefully not too much.

Cheers from Brendon

Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Two more Cavalry Regiment trays

On the back of completing two trays last week I produced two more but this time with a different layout. An economic six 25x50mm bases fit on these two. Modeled below with Perry Knights.
Theses Regiment sizes are for Kings of War and are universal for my other forces in my collection.


It really pleases me to see these completed. It makes it really easy to get more cavalry onto a table.

Cheers from Brendon